When a Distribution Certificate is about to expire, you must create a new certificate and then create new App Store and Ad Hoc Provisioning Profiles that use the new certificate. These files are uploaded to the Mag+ Publish portal where you then rebuild your app and submit an update to iTunes Connect.
This article will walk you through creating a new Ad Hoc Distribution Provisioning Profile with your new Distribution Certificate.
Note: Test Devices in an Ad Hoc profile are different than Test Devices defined in the Mag+ Publish portal. Test devices in an Ad Hoc profile allow you to test your app on select devices before the app is made live. Test Devices in Mag+ allow you to test content from the Mag+ Publish portal before it is published.
Before You Begin
- Make sure you have created and installed a new Distribution Certificate and exported it as a .p12 file (for more information, read the article "iOS - Renewing a Distribution Certificate.")
- Make sure you have added all your iOS test devices in the iOS Dev Center (for more information, read this article - iOS - Defining iOS Test Devices in the iOS Dev Center
How to Create a New Ad Hoc Distribution Provisioning Profile with a Renewed Distribution Certificate
1. To login into the iOS Developer Console goto <https://developer.apple.com> and click Account at the top
7. Click on the radio button next to your new Distribution Certificate and click on "Continue."
Note: For more information on Distribution Certificates, read the article "iOS - Renewing a Distribution Certificate."
8. Place a checkmark next to the test devices where you will install your app and click "Continue."
Note: Your app will only run on the devices you check. Any time you add or remove a device, you will need to generate a new Ad Hoc Profile.
9. Enter your app name and "-AdHoc" in the name field and click on "Generate."
Note: Since this is a renewed profile, you may want to identify it somehow in the name to differentiate it from your old profile.
10. Click on the "Download" button to download your new Ad Hoc Distribution profile.
Note: Your Ad Hoc Distribution Provisioning Profile can now be uploaded to the Mag+ Publish portal.
11. Login to the Mag+ Publish portal <https://publish.magplus.com> and go to Apps > iOS > Certificate and Provisioning Files.
Certificate Renewal: Next Steps
After uploading your new Ad Hoc Provisioning Profile, you can now build a new app that uses your new certificates and provisioning profiles.
Note: If you use Push Notifications, you may want to renew your Push Notification Certificate as well. For more information, read the article "iOS - Renewing a Push Notification Certificate."
After building your app, you can now submit an app update to iTunes Connect. For more information, read the article "iOS - Updating a Live App."