Google Analytics is a new, free analytics offering in the mag+ reader app as of the 5.0 release.
Note: This feature provides limited integration. It is intended to offer the option of using Google Analytics with a mag+ app, but its feature set is far below other analytics integrations.
In the current implementation, you can see the following data:
- Screens accessed (ie, Issues, Live, My account)
- Issue-level data (visits, time spent, etc.)
- In Google Analytics, there is no article level data. You cannot see specific articles viewed, or any actions inside of an article.
- You can only have one analytics solution at a time, so if you choose Google Analytics, any current option will be disabled and data will stop flowing to that dashboard.
How to Integrate Google Analytics in your App
1. Sign up for an account.
Go to Google Analytics to sign up for an account. You will be using the Mobile App analytics, and you do not need to download the SDK. We've already done that step for you. Click the Sign In button in the upper right-hand corner and choose Analytics. It then navigates you to the Sign Up page as shown below. Then, click the Sign Up button and create your account.
2. Select "Mobile app" for your analytics and fill out the information.
3. Click on "Get Tracking ID".
This will take you to a page where you'll see an alphanumeric code. You can ignore the SDK download — that has already been implemented into your app.
5. In the mag+ Publish portal, go to Apps > Analytics Configuration.
Note: Analytics Configuration is available under the iOS and Android tabs.
8. (iOS Only) Go to Build Options > Third Party Integrations and click the box next to "Google Analytics".
9. (iOS Only) Click on "Save" to save your settings.
Note: You must rebuild your app and submit it to your app marketplace in order to begin receiving data.
Data Available in Google Analytics
Once your key is entered, your app will begin sending data to your Google Analytics dashboard, where you can access your captured information.
Here you can get detailed information about your users, including new vs returning, average session time, and number of visits.