The Mag+ menu contains several commands not present in the Mag+ panels. One such command is the "Folder Multi-Device Export" which allows you to take a folder of InDesign documents and convert them to other device formats (eg from Apple iPad to Android Tablet) and, optionally, generate Verticals for them.
Before you begin
- Organize your InDesign files so that all documents with the same device target are grouped into one folder (see image above). It's best to use the folder naming scheme used by the Mag+ InDesign Plugin for Multi-Device Exports:
- Android Tablet 1280x800
- Android Tablet 2560x1600
- Android Phone 1184x720
- Android Phone 1280x720
- Apple iPad
- Apple iPad Retina
- Apple iPad Pro
- Apple iPhone 4
- Apple iPhone 5
- Apple iPhone 6
- Apple iPhone 6+
- Kindle Fire 1024x600
- Kindle Fire HD 7
- Kindle Fire HD 8.9
- Make sure all your source InDesign files point to the proper Export folders. In the image above, the source documents point to the 2014-07 Verticals folder as their Export folder. You set the Export folder in each InDesign document in the Vertical panel next to the field "Export Folder". For more information on structuring an Issue Folder, refer to the article "How to Structure the Mag+ Issue Folder".
- Make sure you have closed all open InDesign layouts before starting the Mag+ Folder Multi-Device Export.
How to Convert a Folder of InDesign Documents to another Device format
2. In the dialog that appears, Browse to the folder which contains your InDesign source documents.
Note: You can optionally instruct the feature to search subfolders.
4. In the window that appears, you can set several options.
Note 1: You can individually choose which documents you wish to convert by clicking on the checkbox next to the Filename.
- Clicking on a Filename will show its File Folder and Vertical Export folder down below.
- You can use the "Quick Select" menu at the top to quickly select or deselect all source documents.
- Note 2: You can choose which devices to convert the source documents to by double-clicking the device name in the scrolling list.
- Note 3: You can choose to have the feature generate Verticals for your converted documents as well. These verticals will appear in device folders within the Export folder set in the InDesign document.
5. Click on the "Export Files" button to begin the conversion.
Note: InDesign will open and close the converted documents as they are processed.
6. A results window will tell you the status of the conversion.
- Note 1: Clicking on a file will show information about its conversion at the bottom of the window.
- Note 2: If any errors are encountered, a message will be displayed at the bottom of the window when a file is selected.
7. Converted files will appear where you specified.
- Note 1: New InDesign files will be created in device folders in the same location as the folder you chose in Step 2.
- Note 2: If you chose to "Export Verticals" in Step 3, new device folders will be created in the Export folder set within the InDesign source document. These new folders will contain Verticals that can be read by the Mag+ Production Tool for assembling an issue.
Note: For more information on assembling a Mag+ Issue in the Mag+ Production Tool, refer to the articles in the section "Assembling Your Issue".