Have an issue ready and published. You must have an issue near complete when you submit to Apple so they can see a) that what you're delivering matches what your store copy description says you're delivering; and b) so they can test the purchase and download behavior of the app. This issue must be published in Publish. You can always update the MIB file later.
Newsstand apps must offer a subscription. If you want your app to appear in Newsstand you need to provide a subscription, free or auto-renewable. All subscriptions, free or not, will appear in the 'Store' menu of your app. So make sure the option 'Disable store' is not checked in Publish.
Put Subscription Terms in your store copy. Apple requires that any app selling a subscription discloses the terms of the subscription in its store copy page. Here is sample copy that shows what must be included:
- Purchase Options:
Editions of [magazine] are available for purchase as single issues, or via an auto-renewable subscription as follows:
- Annual subscription for $[price], issues delivered [frequency, e.g. monthly or weekly].
- Single copy issues for $[price].
- Payment will be charged to your iTunes account.
- Account will be charged for $[subscription price] renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period.
- Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase.
- No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period.
- Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription.
- Free Issues & Subscription:
- Subscriptions and single issues of [magazine] are available for free.
- Subscriptions may be managed by the user by going to the user's Account Settings.
- Issues are delivered [frequency, e.g. monthly or weekly].
Do not link to online sales of your publication. If you have a link anywhere in your app (say, the Live window) that will take a user to a page on your site where they can buy a digital subscription, Apple will reject your app.
If using Appboy, do not place advertisements/links to apps other than your own in your Newsfeed. Appboy has a specific section where it allows the promotion of apps created by the same developer/publisher (see image below). If you put links to apps other than your own in the Newsfeed window, Apple will likely reject your app.