As of v4.2, Mag+ has built two ad serving SDKs into the app: AdMarvel and AdMob/DFP. These allow you to designate spaces in your Mag+ Issue where you can serve ads dynamically. This means you can change ads that appear through your AdMarvel or AdMob/DFP dashboard without having to modify and re-upload the Issue.
Note: You must have an account with AdMarvel or AdMob/DFP to use these services and serve your own campaigns. Mag+ does not sell ads or provide inventory. We simply provide the tools to use these services in your Issues. We also cannot troubleshoot AdMarvel or AdMob/DFP problems—please contact your rep for those services to troubleshoot problems.
- AdMarvel and AdMob/DFP are only supported on the iOS platform.
- Currently Mag+ only supports the online SDKs. This means the app will only fetch an ad for the designated space if the device is online when the user views that space. It will not pre-cache ads for later showing. You can, however, put a placeholder graphic in your ad box that can show when the user is offline so it is not a blank space.
- You must define the space for the ad in your InDesign document. The app will not dynamically insert and remove interstitial or other ads as the user is swiping through your Issue.
How to Add AdMarvel and AdMob/DFP Content to Your Layout
1. In your InDesign document, draw a box on a page at the size you want the ad to be.
This can be a fullscreen or a partial screen ad. It can reside on either the A or B layers.
Note: If your ad is on the B layer, remember to deactivate the A layer in the Mag+ Vertical panel, or the user will have to double-tap to turn off the A layer before he or she can interact with the ad.
2. Select the ad box and in the Mag+ Objects panel, choose "Ad" from the Object Type pull-down menu.
3. Configure the three options for the Ad object.
- Ad Type: Choose AdMarvel or AdMob/DFP depending on which service you are using.
- Ad Key: This is an alphanumeric string that comes from your AdMarvel or AdMob/DFP account and identifies your account to the SDK.
- Parameters: Here you can input additional parameters needed to identify which ad or ads you want to show in this space. For example, you might have a "SiteID=X1A2B3C4567" entry. Site ID is found in your AdMarvel or AdMob/DFP dashboard (in AdMob/DFP, you create it in the Ad Units section, ie, brandx.magplus.com; in AdMarvel it is an alphanumeric string). You may also have additional parameters here like "pos=xxx" or "keywords=xxx" where pos and keywords are custom keys you have established in your dashboard. To enter multiple parameters, separate them with an ampersand (&) and no spaces, i.e. "sited=2853&keywords=Things Sweden&testing=YES".
4. (Optional) Put a placeholder graphic in your ad box to be shown when the app is offline.
You can put a placeholder graphic in your ad box, just place it as you would any other image (i.e. File>Place in InDesign and select an image).
5. Preview your Vertical.
if your device is online and your parameters are correct, you should see an ad.
Configuring Your App for AdMarvel or AdMob/DFP
1. Go to Build Options > Third Party Integrations and click the box next to "AdMarvel" or "Google AdMob/DFP".
2. Click on "Save" to save your settings.
Note: You must rebuild your app and submit it to your app marketplace in order to begin receiving data.
Important Notes about AdMob/DFP
- To create a "run of network" ad, create the order in Ad Mob and choose "run of network" instead of a specific ad unit. It will then appear across all your inventory. You can also pick multiple ad units for your ad to run in.
- If you want the AdMob/DFP network to fill the spot instead of serving a specific ad, you can choose that when you create the Order under Type in AdMob/DFP.