Flurry is a free analytics option. Here's how to implement and use Flurry in your Mag+ app.
How to Implement Flurry
1. Visit <http://Flurry.com> and click the "Sign Up" button.
Fill in your information, choose your platform, and then you can give your app a name - this does not have to be your official app name; just a name you will recognize in your Flurry reporting.
2. Copy your unique application key.
After you verify your e-mail you will be given a unique Application Key. Select and copy this key. Ignore the SDK download link—we have already implemented that in your app.
3. In the Mag+ Publish portal, go to Apps > Analytics configuration.
Note: Analytics Configuration is available under the iOS and Android tabs.
4. Choose Flurry from the drop-down menu and paste the application key you copied.
Note: Flurry does not offer Offline Reporting, so that checkbox has no effect.
7. (iOS Only) Click on "Save" to save your settings.
Note: You must rebuild your app and submit it to your app marketplace in order to begin receiving data.
How to Get Data from Flurry
3. Look at the information Flurry provides.
By default, Flurry will show you the classic dashboard showing some of the top stats, such as users, sessions and country distribution of users. You can also create a custom dashboard.
Across the top of the screen (Label 1) you'll see ways to segment this data based on users, versions of the app or time periods.
On the left side (Label 2), you'll see a menu that includes Usage, Audience and Events.
Data Available from Flurry
In Usage, you'll see data about users and how they use your app. Note that this can be segmented by time, but not by issue or vertical. Among the stats you'll find there are:
- Sessions or visits by region
- Active Users by time period and total
- New users by time period and total
- Session Length, including median time spent per session and total and median number of sessions per day/week/month
- Lifecycle is the number of users using the app once vs more than once
- Retention, which tracks who visits the app more than once in seven days vs new users
- Mag+ does not track Page Views here. See Events below.
- Audience, where you'll find a number of Flurry estimates for the demographics of your readers, including interests, age and gender. Mag+ does not ask readers to volunteer their information, so Flurry estimates them based on data they have about what other apps your users use. Only Geography is based on tracking the actual IP addresses of the users downloading your app.
Events, where you'll find detailed information about the usage of your issues, including:
- Number of people who read a given vertical (page)
- How much of a vertical they read on either layer
- Links clicked (including jump links, URLs, popups and media play links)
- Movies watched, with percent watched
- Number of app opens and time in app (Note: The best way to get the most accurate view of this data is to click on Event Summary in the left menu, then click on the individual event, then Event Parameters along the top. Here you can deep dive into events, then export the data into a spreadsheet. For more on working with events, read the article "Analytics - Understanding Flurry Custom Events".
- Technical is where you'll find information about the devices and carriers your users are on.
Note: To see page views, do not click on the Page Views metric under Usage - that doesn't translate to pages of your issue. Instead, go to Events, then click on the event Vertical Read, then click on the Parameters pulldown and choose Vertical_ID. This will show you the views of each vertical, as defined by its ID.