This article refers to Newsstand apps. If you wish to create a non-Newsstand app with paid content, please read the article "iOS - Before Building: Apps with Paid Content."
Note: Before building an app, please make sure you have set-up your distribution channels (iTunes, Google Play, and/or the Amazon App Store). You will need information from these marketplaces in order to build your app. For more information, read the section "Setting Up Distribution Channels."
How to Configure Your Newsstand App for Paid Content
1. In iTunes Connect, make sure your app has been enabled for Newsstand, in-app purchases for paid subscriptions, and in-app purchases for paid content.
Note: For more information on Newsstand, refer to the article "iOS - Set-up Your App For Newsstand." For more information on creating in-app purchases for paid subscriptions, read the article "iOS - Create In-app Purchases for Subscriptions." For more information on creating in-app purchases for Mag+ Issues, read the article "iOS - Create In-app Purchases for Issues." You will need to create an in-app purchase for each Mag+ Issue you plan to sell.
2. Create Mag+ Subscriptions for your paid Newsstand content and configure the appropriate settings.
You will need the following:
- An in-app purchase for paid subscriptions defined in iTunes Connect
Note: For more information on creating in-app purchases for subscriptions, read the article "iOS - Create In-app Purchases for Subscriptions."
For more information on creating and managing Mag+ Subscriptions, read the article "Adding and Managing Subscriptions."
3. Go to Mag+ Publish portal > Issues and edit the Issue to associate with your Newsstand subscription.
Note: For more information on creating and uploading Mag+ Issues, refer to the article "Managing Issues."
6. Choose which Newsstand subscriptions the Mag+ Issue belongs to.
Note: The Apple - Yearly Subscription and Apple - Monthly Subscription options shown in the image are only examples. The Subscriptions you created earlier will appear in their place.
7. Make sure the following options are configured under Mag+ Publish portal > iOS > Build Options.
- Choose whether your app is Universal or runs only on iPads or iPhones
- Make sure "Single Issue App" is not checked
- Check "Enable Push Notifications"
Note: For more information on setting up Push Notifications, read the article "Sending Out Push Notifications to Your Readers."
- Check "Enable Newsstand functionality"
- Configure the other options as needed
8. You are now ready to build your app.
Refer to the article "iOS - Building an App Step-by-Step" for instructions on how to build your iOS app. Note that some information may be duplicated, but the settings above should be configured for iOS apps with paid content.