This article refers to Newsstand apps. If you wish to create a non-Newsstand app with free content, please read the article "iOS - Before Building: Apps with Free Content."
Note: Before building an app, please make sure you have set-up your distribution channels (iTunes, Google Play, and/or the Amazon App Store). You will need information from these marketplaces in order to build your app. For more information, read the section "Setting Up Distribution Channels."
How to Configure Your Newsstand App for Free Content
1. In iTunes Connect, make sure your app has been enabled for Newsstand and free subscriptions.
Note: For more information on Newsstand, refer to the article "iOS - Set-up Your App For Newsstand." For more information on creating in-app purchases for free subscriptions, read the article "iOS - Create In-app Purchases for Subscriptions."
2. Create Mag+ Subscriptions for your free Newsstand content and configure the appropriate settings.
You will need the following:
- A free in-app purchase for subscriptions defined in iTunes Connect
Note: For more information on creating in-app purchases for subscriptions, read the article "iOS - Create In-app Purchases for Subscriptions."
For more information on creating and managing Mag+ Subscriptions, read the article "Adding and Managing Subscriptions."
3. Go to Mag+ Publish portal > Issues and edit the Issue to associate with your Newsstand subscription.
Note: For more information on creating and uploading Mag+ Issues, refer to the article "Managing Issues."
5. Choose which Newsstand subscriptions the Mag+ Issue belongs to.
Note: The Apple - Yearly Subscription and Apple - Monthly Subscription options shown in the image are only examples. The Subscriptions you created earlier will appear in their place.
6. Make sure the following options are configured under Mag+ Publish portal > iOS > Build Options.
- Choose whether your app is Universal or runs only on iPads or iPhones
- Make sure "Single Issue App" is not checked
- Check "Enable Push Notifications" only if you have properly configured Push Notifications for your app
Note: For more information on setting up Push Notifications, read the article "Sending Out Push Notifications to Your Readers."
- Check "Enable Newsstand functionality"
- Configure the other options as needed
7. You are now ready to build your app.
Refer to the article "iOS - Building an App Step-by-Step" for instructions on how to build your iOS app. Note that some information may be duplicated, but the settings above should be configured for iOS apps with paid content.